Summer is a time of abundance, and one vegetable that’s particularly plentiful is squash like zucchini. If you’ve ever grown it, or known some one who has, then you know it’s a prolific giver, so it’s nice to have multiple recipes on hand to utilize a generous harvest. My Roasted Summer Squash Rounds recipe is perfect for devouring any squash surplus.
Seasonal ingredients, prepared simply & with love: it doesn’t get any better than this.
Roasting summer squash brings out its natural sweetness. Zucchini and it’s cousins have a fairly subtle flavor. That’s one reason why they make such a good pasta substitute when spiralized. However, the roasting process highlights and accentuates their unique flavor profile, allowing their sweet and savory sides to shine.
You may be surprised by how richly flavorful these seemingly mild squashes really are!
This is one of those recipes where if I only make one batch, it’ll be gone before we sit down to eat. If you have more than one baking sheet I highly recommend doubling the recipe. If not, consider cooking in batches. Once you try this recipe, you’ll get why!
- 1 medium-sized summer squash (zucchini, yellow squash etc.)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to your preference
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandolin (which will make this super easy, I totally recommend getting one!) slice the squash into 1/4″ rounds. Note: I really do mean 1/4″! I measured!
- Gently toss the rounds with the oil and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place the rounds on a large baking sheet in a single layer. You may need to cook them in batches depending on how many rounds you ended up with, and how big your baking sheets are.
- Roast for 35 minutes, or until the rounds look golden-green with some caramelization.
- Remove from the oven, and practice patience for 5 minutes so that you don’t burn your precious mouth.
- Give thanks for abundance, and serve as a side dish or savory veggie snack.
Holistic Inspiration & Intentions:
Hot summer days don’t encourage baking. So when cooking up a batch (or multiple) of my Roasted Summer Squash Rounds, I often pair them with a chilled side (think leftovers) to make an easy meal that’s perfect for the season.
Serve ’em with a hearty salad loaded with fresh lettuces, or any leftover vegetables you have on hand, and top with leftover chunks of meat or fish (or whatever protein makes your body sing.)
Pile up a plate of summer’s bounty and fill up on abundance; the more you appreciate everyday gifts (like a flavorful meal) the more you’ll find you have!
May you eat well, live well, be well! Hugs & Second Helpings, Xx Kat
“Abundance is not something we acquire. Its something we tune into.” ~Wayne Dyer
Empowered Health is all about choices. Choose your favorite pic + Pin it!
Some of the links in this post may be “affiliate links.” Click here to learn more about what that means. I’m letting you know ’cause honesty & trust are important, and I want you to know what’s going on when you click my links. Xx Kat